Study Permit and Study Permit Extension

Once you lose your status, you can’t study in Canada until you restore your status as a student.

Studying in Canada as a minor

Each province and territory decides the age when a person becomes an adult. This is known as the age of majority. A person under the age of majority is a “minor child”.

  • Province or territory: Age of majority
  • Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan: 18
  • British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Yukon: 19

The parents or legal guardians must prove the minor child will have the care and support they need during their stay in Canada. Minor children under the age of 17 must either.

A custodian is a responsible adult, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, who will take care of and support the minor child. A custodian is optional for minors 17 years of age and older, but an officer can request one on a case-by-case basis.